Feb 22, Colombo: Minister of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Rajitha Senaratne says that a delegation will leave for Somalia next week to discuss the release of six Sri Lankan fishermen with the Somali sea pirates.
The Minister said that several members of the families of the abducted fishermen would also be in the delegation.
The six fishermen had left the Negombo harbor six months ago in a trawler belonging to a businessman named Anthony Nihal Fernando and they were abducted by the Somali pirates as they had inadvertently trespassed into Somalia territorial waters.
The owner of the trawler and the family members of the fishermen say that the pirates have demanded a sum of US$6 million as ransom money to release the fishermen.
Minister Senaratne has said earlier that his Ministry is working with an unnamed Somali person to save the six fishermen.