Website for the ‘Lotus Pond’ international Art Theater in Sri Lanka launched

Dec 12, Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa today at Temple Trees launched the website for the Lotus Pond (Nelum Pokuna) Mahinda Rajapaksa Performance Arts Theatre.

The President will declare open the newly constructed Lotus Pond Mahinda Rajapaksa Performance Arts Theatre in the old Colombo Municipal Council grounds at Ananda Coomaraswamy Mawatha in Colombo on Thursday (15).

The ‘Lotus Pond Mahinda Rajapaksa Theatre’ built on a model similar to the Lotus Pond (Nelum Pokuna) of Polonnaruwa, was constructed with the expertise from China at a cost of Rs. 3.08 billion. China has financed a grant to cover 60 percent of the expenditure of the project, and agreed to bear the remaining 40 percent of the cost.

The Deputy Prime Minister of China will attend the opening function as the chief guest. The road from the Horton Place Junction to the Public Library will be named as the Lotus Pond Mahinda Rajapaksa Mawatha and the performance theatre area will be named as the Lotus Pond Mahinda Rajapaksa Square.

The local and foreign artists can obtain information about the arts theatre through the website of the theater at .

Speaking at the function today Secretary to the President Lalith Weeratunga said Sri Lanka had a dream of getting an international arts theatre and the President has been able to make this dream realized.

He said that this theatre will help the present as well as the future artistes to improve their performance talents.

Minister of Youth Affairs and Skills Development, Dullas Alahapperuma and Secretary to the Ministry of Media and Information, W. D. Ganegala were present at the occasion.

(Photos by Sudath Silva)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.